If you are planning on having a block party, there are several steps that need to be taken. First a block party permit must be filled out at least 7 days in advance of the proposed block party. Failure to do so may result in the inability of police and fire to attend along with the availability of having barricades delivered. The forms can be filled out at the Village Hall or online. The block party application needs to include the proposed date, time and location of the block party. If barricades are needed, please include a drawing with the cross streets of the barricade locations. Also if you are interested in having the police department or fire department attend your block party, please include that under the additional comments area.
A sample block party invitation (PDF) is available to download so that you can just fill in the date and time and distribute to your neighbors.
Block Party Rules and Regulations
1. The Village of Montgomery reserves the right to refuse to block of any roadway.
2. The applicant must provide an emergency phone number for the duration of the event.
3. Everyone on the proposed closed road must be invited to the party.
4. No person attending a block party shall make any loud noise or disturbance which will create a nuisance for persons not attending the party. They must abide by the Noise Ordinance.
5. No party may exceed more than 8 hours and may not extend past 10 pm upon any portion of the public right of way.
6. No block party shall occupy more than 600 ft of any public right of way.
7. A police officer will contact the applicant prior to the party and public works will deliver the barricades to the street to be closed.
8. The applicant is responsible to place the barricades in accordance with the approval of the Police Department and they must be removed by 10 pm.
9. No public right of way shall be completely blocked by any block party or gathering. Access must be available by either person or vehicle. Emergency vehicles must be able to pass through the closed street.
10. A police car and fire truck will attend if possible.
11. No illegal activities are allowed. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Underage Drinking
- No alcohol liquor shall be sold at any block party
- No alcohol allowed on street or sidewalk
12. The applicant will be responsible for removal of any litter, debris, ect. from the street or sidewalk as a result from the party. This will be checked by the Code Enforcement Officer.
13. The applicant must come to the Village Hall to pick up the permit and have it available upon request.